Requirements to Apply to Take the Examination
- To apply, login above with your username and password and then click on “Start” for Application for Certifying Examination under the Forms tab.
- Application fee: $2,500. Checks or credit cards (American Express, MasterCard, or VISA) are accepted.
- Application/fee deadline: March 1
- Required application supporting documentation and other
- Copy of currently valid, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada.
- Submission of online final year evaluation form signed by resident and program director.
A memorandum will be sent to program directors to inform residents in their final year of training about the availability of the online application forms. Physicians who complete their residency training in dermatology by July 1 are eligible to apply to take the examination in July of the same year. Under the special conditions described under Guidelines for Determining Adequacy of Clinical Training, candidates completing additional (make-up) training before September 1 may also be eligible to apply to take the certifying examination. It is emphasized that it is the candidate's responsibility to submit a completed application form online if he or she plans to take the certifying examination of the Board. Requests by candidates for special accommodations for the certifying examination must be received in the Board office by March 1st as well.
About the Examination
July 14-17 & 21-24, 2014|
July 13-16 & 20-23, 2015
|Where:||American Board of Pathology testing center|
4830 W. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 690
Tampa, FL 33609
|What:||Since August 2007 the certifying examination in dermatology has been administered in a single day (8 hour exam), comprised of two sections:|
- Examination in Dermatopathology: In this section, candidates are questioned on 36 glass histopathologic slides that they examine on microscopes provided by the Board. This section of the examination encompasses the entire spectrum of dermatopathology.
- Written Multiple Choice Examination in Dermatology: This 300-question
section tests the candidate's knowledge of the basic science and clinical
aspects of dermatology, including all the related disciplines. Some questions
have images associated with them. Among the topics included in this part of the
examination are clinical dermatology, pediatric dermatology, preventive
dermatology, entomology, epidemiology, dermatopathology, cutaneous allergy and
immunology, dermatologic surgery, cutaneous oncology, sexually transmitted
diseases, internal medicine as it pertains to dermatology, medical ethics,
photobiology and cutaneous microbiology as well as anatomy, physiology,
biochemistry, molecular biology, physical therapy, pharmacology, genetics, and
electron microscopy as related to dermatology. Considerable emphasis is placed
on comprehensive knowledge of the literature.
- Examples of the types of images used include photographs of patients, diagrams and illustrative drawings and pictures of histopathologic sections, bacterial cultures, Tzanck preparations, skin scrapings and smears, histochemical and fluorescent photo-micrographs, electron micrographs, drawings or photographs of organisms, including viruses, rickettsiae, bacteria and parasites that affect the skin.
- Candidates must answer multiple choice type questions covering dermatologic surgical areas including, but not limited to, Mohs micrographic surgery, anesthesia, hair transplantation, lasers, dermabrasion, sclerotherapy, liposuction, chemical peels, tissue augmentation, and anatomy as it relates to dermatologic surgery.
The results of the examination are reported as a single Pass/Fail score. Unsuccessful candidates will be required to repeat the entire examination. Notification of performance on the examination will be emailed to candidates approximately 6-8 weeks following the final day of the examination.
|Hotels:||Attached to the building housing the test facility is the InterContinental Hotel Tampa (4860 W. Kennedy Blvd.). Reservations can be made by calling 800-235-4870 or 813-266-4400. Another hotel option (approximately 6-8 block away), at the opposite side of the WestShore Plaza, is the Embassy Suites Tampa – Airport/Westshore (813-875-1555).|
|Airport shuttle:||The Tampa International Airport is located approximately 3 miles (10-20 min.) from the ABP testing site. Taxi service is readily available and there is a complimentary airport shuttle to both hotels.|